The days are longer, the birds are returning, and the trees are beginning to bud...it's time to start thinking Spring! With the gradual return of the nicer weather and warmer temps, we begin to focus our attention on all that Saratoga has to offer, allowing us to fully enjoy the spring season.
If you're looking for outdoor activities offering fresh air and exercise, Saratoga has no shortage of options. Head on over to the Saratoga Spa State Park where you'll find miles of nature trails that are ideal for walking, running, and biking, as well as various mineral springs and picnic areas. If you're a history buff, the Saratoga National Historical Park offers both walking and driving tours, allowing visitors to learn about the Battle of Saratoga during the American Revolution. Check out their website for additional information and hours of operation. Spend an afternoon at Pitney Meadows Farm, a community farm offering gardening and composting classes for adults and a "Kids' Garden Club" for the younger gardeners, in addition to nature trails for walking, biking and birding. The Saratoga Farmers' Market takes place on Saturdays in the Wilton Mall Food Court throughout April. Beginning in May, they move to their outdoor location on High Rock Avenue (Saturdays and Wednesdays), offering a variety of locally grown produce, plants, crafts and live music!
Photo courtesy of Pitney Meadows Farm
Golfers are always especially eager for the snow to disappear, and Saratoga is proud to boast a plethora of beautiful, award-winning golf courses that provide challenging and beautifully maintained fairways for every level of ability. Check out Airway Meadows Golf Club, Fairways of Halfmoon, Saratoga Golf and Polo Club, Saratoga Lake Golf Club, Saratoga National Golf Club, Saratoga Spa Golf Course and the VanPatten Golf Club.
If you're looking to head to the water, the Kayak Shak rents kayaks and paddleboards, allowing you to enjoy the beauty of Fish Creek. Or contact Adirondack Cruise and Charter and charter a private cruise around beautiful Saratoga Lake. Beginning in May, book a spot on one of their leisurely afternoon, sunset or coffee cruises! Check their calendar for availability.
Photo courtesy of Kayak Shak
The Arts Scene
Spend a beautiful springtime afternoon walking around our downtown and exploring the thriving Saratoga arts scene. Be sure to stroll through the Beekman Street Arts District which includes the Eden Compton Studio, along with numerous other galleries, studios and restaurants. Two additional must-see galleries include Saratoga Arts and the Tang Teaching Museum and Art Gallery located at Skidmore College.
Rainy Day Ideas and Activities
As much as we would love never-ending sunshine, it is spring and with the spring comes the rain. No worries. Saratoga has you covered! We have several interesting and informative museums. To learn about our local history, head to the Saratoga Springs History Museum, located in the beautiful Canfield Casino. Or check out the National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame and experience all aspects of the thrilling sport of thoroughbred horse racing. Additional museums of interest include the Saratoga Automobile Museum, the NYS Military Museum, and Grant's Cottage. If you're feeling creative, head on over to Saratoga Paint and Sip or Saratoga Clay Arts Center. Do you enjoy bowling? If so, the Saratoga Strike Zone is where you want to be. The Saratoga Casino Hotel is the place for fun! With jackpots hitting every day, your next big win could be just a spin away, Or, if you just want to relax over a drink with friends, stop by the tasting room at the Saratoga Winery and enjoy handcrafted wines, local beers and delicious cocktails.
National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame
There's no shortage of events to check out during the spring in Saratoga. Here are just a few; be sure to check out our events calendar for many more!
- A Fatal Family Feud - A murder mystery Dinner Theatre benefitting the Saratoga Springs History Museum. April 8 from 6-10pm.
- Mind, Body, Soul Expo - Explore health, wellness and holistic therapies! At the Saratoga Springs City Center, April 16 from 10am-6pm.
- Saratoga Tattoo Expo - Come and browse or get tattooed or pierced from artists all over the US. At the Saratoga Springs City Center April 22-24.
- Night at the Brewseum - The Saratoga Lions Club is hosting their annual Night at the Brewseum at the Canfield Casino. Sample craft beers, wines and spirits. April 22 from 6pm-9:30pm.
- Journeyman - The #1 Tribute to Eric Clapton - Celebrating the 30th anniversary of the Unplugged album. Universal Preservation Hall, April 22 at 7:30pm.
- 2022 Kentucky Derby Party - Celebrate the Derby in style! Held at the National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame. May 7 from 3:30pm-7:00pm.
- 2022 Spring Auto Show - Annual event held at the Saratoga Automobile Museum in the Saratoga Spa State Park on May 14 from 9am-2pm.
- 2022 Historic Homes Tour - Presented by the Saratoga Springs Preservation Foundation on Saturday, May 14, from 10am-4pm. This event offers the rare opportunity to see the interiors of private historic homes throughout Saratoga...
- The Lumineers with Special Guest CAAMP at SPAC - Kick off the SPAC season with the first Live Nation concert of the summer. May 29 at 7:30pm.
Saratoga Performing Arts Center